Hurricanes are among the most powerful and destructive natural disasters on earth, and Florida is no stranger to these devastating storms. Having a plan in place to protect yourself, your family, and loved ones in the event of a hurricane is something all Florida residents should take seriously, especially if you live in an area that is frequently hit by storms.
How can I Prepare for a Hurricane?
One thing you can do if you live in an area that’s affected by hurricanes is put together a hurricane preparation kit before hurricane season arrives. Here is a list the items that should be on your hurricane checklist:
- Water, non-perishable food, and cash to last at least a week
- Flashlights and batteries
- First aid kit and medications
- Blankets, clothing, and good shoes or boots
- A manual can opener
- A battery powered radio
- An extra credit card
- A generator
- Pet food if you have pets
It’s best to put your kit together before the hurricane season, rather than wait until the last minute when a storm is on the way and certain items are more difficult to find. In the event of an emergency, a hurricane preparation kit can save you and your loved ones’ lives.
What about My Evacuation Plan?
You should also be prepared to leave town when a storm is too dangerous and local authorities recommend evacuating.To formulate an evacuation plan, ask and begin to answer some of the following questions:
- What route will you take?
- Where will you stay?
- What valuables will you take with you?
- How much gas will you need to get where you’re going?
- Will you need to shutter and board up your properties before you leave?
- What will you do with pets?
- Is there anything you can do to make your property and valuables safer before you leave?
Being prepared for hurricanes is an important part of living in Florida. Having a hurricane preparation kit and an evacuation plan are two of the first things you should begin to think about when getting ready for hurricane season.
Contact a Knowledgeable Hurricane Claims Lawyer in Florida
If your house has been damaged in a hurricane, Johnson & Williams P.A. can help you get fair compensations for your hurricane claims. Call us today at (407) 245-1268, or contact us online for a free consultation. Our knowledgeable Orlando hurricane claims lawyers serve Greater Orlando, Winter Haven and Kissimmee, Florida.